Another year and whew—that sure went by fast! Once again, I am grateful to my farmers who coax up life from the soil and provide me with food and nourishment all year long. I am grateful for my family—and yes, three generations of us can work together in the same kitchen at the same time. And I am super grateful that the power stayed on through the early snow.
I apologize in advance for the dearth of pictures. I completely forgot about the camera and the blog between the appetizers and dessert. We really did have soup and a main course.
- Crudité platter with carrots from Migliorelli Farm, Tivoli, NY, kohlrabi, cauliflower, broccoli and purple carrots from Sport Hill Farm, Easton, CT, bell peppers not local
- Chilled roasted beets: red from Riverbank Farm, Roxbury, CT, golden from Maple Bank Farm, Roxbury, CT
- Tatziki dip made with cucumbers, garlic, and mint from Sport Hill Farm, and yogurt from Maple Hill Creamery, Stuyvesant, NY
- Baba Ghanoush, made with eggplant and garlic from Sport Hill Farm. Tahini & lemon juice not local
- Spicy Icebox Pickled Carrots following Sherry Brooks-Vinton‘s recipe, made with little round carrots from Freshwater Farm, Morris, CT, garlic from Sport Hill Farm, cayenne peppers from JFort Hill Farm, honey from Dave’s in Easton
- Pickled salad turnips from Sport Hill Farm
- Cheese Boards with Farmers Cheese, Camembert, Europa Reserva, Bella Bantam, Tapping Reeve, and Mt. Tom from Arethusa Farm Dairy, Bantam, CT, and Womanchego from Cato Corner Farm, Colchester, CT
- Crackers & Breads: Not local
Chicken Soup (recipe) with bowtie pasta and/or brown rice made from chickens from Camp Roads Farm, Kent, CT and Ox Hollow Farm, Roxbury, Carrots, parsnips, celeriac, and onions from Fort Hill Farm, New Milford, CT. My own parsley. Brown rice and pasta: not local.
- Roasted Turkey from Quattro Game Farm, Pleasant Valley, NY
- Pan Gravy (recipe) from the natural juices of the bird, flour from Wild Hive Farm
- Cornbread Stuffing (recipe) with cornbread (recipe) made from flour and corn meal from Wild Hive Farm and Micro Mill, butter and yogurt from Maple Hill Creamery, honey from Dave’s in Easton, CT, eggs from Camp Roads Farm, Kent, CT. Baking powder, salt, salt, and sunflower oil: not local. Onions from Fort Hill Farm, my own sage and chicken stock
- Whole-Berry Cranberry Sauce: Cranberries from MA, from a friend of my friend Barbara. Maple syrup from Ragland, Southbury, CT. Apple cider from Lyman Orchards. Cinnamon stick: not local
- Applesauce made from Macoun apples, handpicked by me, Tammie, and Cindy at Averill Farm, Washington, CT
- Mashed Potatoes (recipe) made from German Butterball potatoes from Fort Hill Farm, and butter and sour cream from Arethusa Farm Dairy
- Baked sweet potatoes from either Fort Hill Farm, Riverbank Farm, or Maple Bank Farm. (Sorry, they got co-mingled.)
- Roasted Butternut and Delicata squash (recipe) from Sport Hill Farm. Olive oil, fennel seed, cinnamon: not local
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts from Maple Bank Farm
See last year for a photo—almost, but not exactly the same.
- Apple Cider from Lyman Orchards
- Egg Nog from Arethusa Farm Dairy
- Soda: Assorted flavors from Foxon Park, East Haven, CT. Pellegrino, and Diet Coke not local
- Red Wine: Cabernet Franc from Sharpe Hill Vineyard, Pomfret, CT
- Beer: S Barrel Ale from Chatham Brewing Company
- Apple Crumb Pie (recipe) made from Northern Spy apples from Maple Bank Farm, flour from Wild Hive Farm and Micro Mill, butter from Arethusa Farm Dairy. Lemon, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon: not local
- Pumpkin Pie (recipe) made from sugar pumpkin from Maple Bank Farm, eggs from Camp Roads Farm, flour from Wild Hive Farm and Micro Mill, butter from Arethusa Farm Dairy, and heavy cream from Hudson Valley Fresh, Poughkeepsie, NY, maple syrup from Ragland Farm, Southbury, CT, spices, not local
- Fresh Whipped Cream made from heavy cream from Hudson Valley Fresh. Vanilla and sugar: not local. (Still “cheating” by using this very handy gizmo!)
- Ice Cream, assorted flavors from Ferris Acres Creamery, Newtown, CT
- Mixed Nuts and Pistachio nuts: Not local
- Fresh Fruits: Cortland apples and Bosc pears from Rogers Orchards, Wallingford, CT. Figs, not local
- Coffee, Tea: Not local
Now here I am with my annual Pie For Breakfast Day ritual behind me and my turkey bone broth happily simmering on the stove. Hope everyone had as great a Thanksgiving as I did.